The Return Leg


View OzTour09 - The Return Leg in a larger map

Where We've Been So Far


View Richards' OzTour 09 in a larger map

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Aye Karumba!!

We were due to meet may Mum and Dad in Ellis Beach (FNQ) on the 13th and somehow I had miscalculated the day we had to get there from Gregory Downs. With one day less than I had expected, our planned 2 day stop in Normanton was cut down to a short overnighter. Being so close to the Gulf of Carpentaria, I couldn’t resist taking the “short” 70km drive up to prawning town of Karumba, where the Norman River meets the sea, so after setting up the van, a quick swim with the kids in the caravan park’s huge 25m pool, it was back in the car again. This was to be our last opportunity (for this trip at least) to see the sun set over the water so we brought 2kg of prawns (why not when they were only $12/kg!!), a loaf of bread, and sat on the beach to enjoy the view. I never thought I would ever say this but we have never been so full that it was a struggle to finish the last prawn!! They were absolutely beautiful. With the sun below the horizon, it was back in the car again. I was on edge the whole drive back to Normanton – paranoid that I would add to the road kill statistics as this was the first time I had really driven at night, apart from short trips in various towns. Fortunately the wildlife was kind enough not to jump put out in front of me at the last minute and we made it back to Normanton with the car and the local fauna unscathed (except for a few squished bugs on the windscreen – do they count?). Next day it was off to the Lava Tubes of Undara National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment