The Return Leg


View OzTour09 - The Return Leg in a larger map

Where We've Been So Far


View Richards' OzTour 09 in a larger map

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Broken Hill Busted

Today is our last day in Broken Hill and despite the weather not being the best for the last few days we have had a great time here. Fully fuelled up again we went out to Silverton and Mundi Mundi lookout. Mundi Mundi is reputed to be a place from where you can look out across a plain so vast that you can see the curvature of the earth. As we were approaching the lookout from the blind side of the rise, I commented to Leanne that I hoped this was not going to be one big anti-climax. However, as we crested the hill we were both gobsmacked!! The sight was every bit as impressive as it's reputation made it out to be.

Although there was a cold wind blowing in from the west, we spent nearly half an hour looking at literally nothing!! It was quite surreal really. At one point we saw what looked to be a large white train cutting its way across the plain. It was actually a huge flock of white birds making its way to what I assumed to be a water hole way off in the distance. The photos I took to try and capture the moment I’m sure do not do the place justice.

We had morning tea in Silverton – a town famed for such movies as Pricilla Queen of the Dessert (the famous ping pong ball scene in the pub), MadMax – a replica of the Interceptor is parked pub's car park and many a beer commercial. Apart from a few art galleries, a leaning dunny, some painted VW's (punch buggies went to Sean and Timmy), a few old stone buildings and the pub (which we didn’t go into) there was little else to see so it was back in the car and back into town.

The last bit of site seeing we did was to drive to the top of the huge mullock heap (the waste from the mines that has been piled up in the centre of town) to visit the Miner’s Memorial and get a panoramic view of the town. To my dismay I learned that you had to pay to get to the memorial from the gift shop so being the cheapskate that I am, I decided to look at it from afar. Sean thought it looked like the Jawa’s Sandcrawler tank from Star Wars – which it does!! The boys had more fun playing on the old mining bulldozer that was out the front anyway.

Lea and I spent the rest of the afternoon getting re-organised for the next day's departure whilst the kids roamed feral around the campsite. I finally fitted the infamous jerry cans to the van (and I even remembered to fill them too so we should be right for fuel from now on!!). If your wondering where the caravan's spare tyre has gone Dad, I've put it in the back of the car.

Ashleigh cooked us all a chicken coconut curry for dinner which even Tim said was delicious so it must have been good!!

Tomorrow we are on our way again, crossing the border into South Australia and a whole new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment